Application for Preliminary Hearing Letter Template
- A letter template to apply to the Employment Tribunal for a Preliminary Hearing.
- Option to include a Peace of Mind check from a Valla coach to ensure your document is professional and taken seriously.
- Downloadable letter in .doc and .pdf formats.
The girls were brilliant
What our customers say:
When to use the Application for Preliminary Hearing template
Use this where you need to apply for an Employment Tribunal Preliminary Hearing for any reason, other than in relation to strike outs or deposit orders (we have separate kits for these).
The purpose of the Preliminary Hearing will be to decide how the case is going to progress from there to a Final Hearing. During or at the end of the Preliminary Hearing, the Judge will let you know what is going to happen next. Sometimes you might have to wait for a few weeks after the hearing before you get the outcome.
Examples of when you would use an Application for Preliminary Hearing for your Employment Tribunal
You might want to apply for a Preliminary Hearing at the Employment Tribunal if you think there is an important issue that needs to be decided in your case before the Final Hearing. For example:
Dana is making a claim for disability discrimination but her employer does not agree that she meets the legal definition of disability.
She applies to the Employment Tribunal for a Preliminary Hearing to decide whether she was disabled or not.
Pavel is making a claim for unfair dismissal but his employer does not agree that he was dismissed - they say that his employment ended because he resigned.
Pavel applies to the Employment Tribunal for a Preliminary Hearing to decide whether he was dismissed or not.
How you can prepare for a Preliminary Hearing
Once you’ve filled out your template with Valla, it’s best to know how you can prepare for a Preliminary Hearing. You should:
- create the template in Valla
- send the application letter or email to the Tribunal
- copy in the Respondent
- wait for the Tribunal to confirm whether or not a Preliminary Hearing is going to be listed
- gather any evidence that is relevant to the issue that needs to be decided at the Preliminary Hearing.